KNOW THE UNKNOWN
Welcome to KnowTheUnknown!!! A bit of everything!!!
KNOW THE UNKNOWN
Welcome to KnowTheUnknown!!! A bit of everything!!!
KNOW THE UNKNOWN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Hawkeye
Admin
Admin
Hawkeye

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality Empty
PostSubject: Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality   Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 5:06 pm

Scientists, however, have made huge strides in the past few years in the rapidly developing field of cloaking. Cloaking involves making an object invisible or undetectable to electromagnetic waves.

A paper published in the March 2009 issue of SIAM Review presents an overview of the theoretical developments in cloaking from a mathematical perspective. One method involves light waves bending around a region or object and emerging on the other side as if the waves had passed through empty space, creating an "invisible" region which is cloaked. For this to happen, however, the object or region has to be concealed using a cloaking device, which must be undetectable to electromagnetic waves. Manmade devices called metamaterials use structures having cellular architectures designed to create combinations of material parameters not available in nature.

Mathematics is essential in designing the parameters needed to create metamaterials and to show that the material ensures invisibility. The mathematics comes primarily from the field of partial differential equations, in particular from the study of equations for electromagnetic waves described by the Scottish mathematician and physicist James Maxwell in the 1860s.

One of the "wrinkles" in the mathematical model of cloaking is that the transformations that define the required material parameters have singularities, that is, points at which the transformations fail to exist or fail to have properties such as smoothness or boundness that are required to demonstrate cloaking. However, the singularities are removable; that is, the transformations can be redefined over the singularities to obtain the desired results. The authors of the paper describe this as "blowing up a point." They also show that if there are singularities along a line segment, it is possible to "blow up a line segment" to generate a "wormhole." (This is a design for an optical device inspired by, but distinct from the notion of a wormhole appearing in the field of gravitational physics.) The cloaking version of a wormhole allows for an invisible tunnel between two points in space through which electromagnetic waves can be transmitted.

Some possible applications for cloaking via electromagnetic wormholes include the creation of invisible fiber optic cables, for example for security devices, and scopes for MRI-assisted medical procedures for which metal tools would otherwise interfere with the magnetic resonance images. The invisible optical fibers could even make three-dimensional television screens possible in the distant future. The effectiveness and implementation of cloaking devices in practice, however, are dependent on future developments in the design, investigation, and production of metamaterials. The "muggle" world will have to wait on further scientific research before Harry Potter's invisibility cloak can become a reality.
Back to top Go down
stormgrab
Managing Director
Managing Director
stormgrab

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality   Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 9:17 pm

I hope scientists don't invent that.Imagine somebody stalking on you all the time.Even in the bathroom.Sounds spooky. pale
Back to top Go down
Arijit
Admin
Admin
Arijit

Number of posts : 422

PostSubject: Re: Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality   Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 9:20 pm

Ummmm sounds good. Lip-smacking.
Back to top Go down
https://knowtheunknown.darkbb.com
stormgrab
Managing Director
Managing Director
stormgrab

PostSubject: Re: Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality   Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 5:06 pm

What if its you who is being watched and then posted on youtube??
UGH Mad
Back to top Go down
Hawkeye
Admin
Admin
Hawkeye

Number of posts : 127

PostSubject: Re: Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality   Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 5:55 pm

LOL. Dont want to see The EYE n...you know what I mean.

Jokes apart, there are many positive things that this technology could bring about. Maybe it could help us fight terrorists by being able to hear about their secrets(but it could also have a negative aspects by letting the terrorists hear about the secrets). Everything in the world has its own positive and negative aspects.

BUT has it ever made man stop looking for new and better things???
Back to top Go down
stormgrab
Managing Director
Managing Director
stormgrab

PostSubject: Re: Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality   Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 7:17 pm

Man what if all the people in the world start roaming about wit a cloak on?
Then they would have to invent an anti invisible cloak.
Then we would be back to where we started.
Just think about it...
Back to top Go down
Arijit
Admin
Admin
Arijit

Number of posts : 422

PostSubject: Re: Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality   Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 7:54 pm

Rofl. hahahah. Good thought mate.
Back to top Go down
https://knowtheunknown.darkbb.com
Koushik S
Managing Director
Managing Director
Koushik S

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality   Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 2:44 pm

Well, if it actually becomes true.. We'll have a lot of Harry Potter's in the world Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality   Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scientists Closer To Making Invisibility Cloak A Reality
Page 1 of 1